Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Pondering the Unponderable

Over 200 victims in the fiery crash of the TAM airliner landing in Sao Paulo last evening. Constant news coverage, speculation as to the cause of the accident. Intense shock, sadness among families and friends. At least we can pray for the families, asking for God's mercy and comfort, patience with the authorities and for some eventual closure and normality. If statistics mean anything, perhaps only 10 to 15% of those dear folks were evangelical believers. Pr. Jonas said many years ago, we should not ask, 'Why?'(Por Que?). Instead we should ask ourselves 'For what?'(Para Que?). But even 'For what?' is not easily answered for me. And so I wonder and ponder... Perhaps this tragedy will result in better safety conditions at crowded urban airports in this great country. That would be comforting to know next time I fly... Or perhaps it will make folks think more of the uncertainty of life, causing people like me to live each moment more fully yet responsibly knowing that any moment could be one's last on earth. Or perhaps as a Christian I should use the incident to share Christ with those around me who are not yet certain of their eternal destiny. Yes, perhaps that's what I should do... In fact, isn't that what being a missionary is all about? What do you think?

No comments: